We realised we're very short of suitable 'man quilts' so when we spotted this block on Modern Quilters Ireland we thought it would be ideal and were very grateful when Louise gave the thumbs up. Pop over and look at her block, as she combines grey beautifully with aqua and orange.
Christmas is just around the corner so we thought if anyone out there wishes to send us a block that the ninth of January would be a good cut-off date. Thanks in advance for taking time-out to support us.
We would like to have either medium/dark grey or navy as our background colour with each wheel being made up of four different fabrics of the same colour - red, blue or green. It doesn't matter if this is combined with the grey or navy, so grey/red, grey/green, grey/blue or navy/red, navy/green, navy/blue.
Four 5 ¾ inch squares in either medium/dark grey or navy
Four different 5 ¾ inch squares in either green, blue or red (keeping the same colour-way in each block)
Assume ¼" seams throughout
1. Pair one background square with one coloured square, right sides together
2. Sew a ¼ inch all around the inner edge of the square
3. Cut the square diagonally to make 4 triangles
5. Press the seams open and trim off the 'ears'
6. Repeat for the other 3 triangles
7. Repeat steps 1 to 6 for the three remaining pairs of 5 ¾ inch squares
8. Lay out the squares in the desired formation
9. Sew each row together, press the seams open and then sew the four rows together making sure to line up the seams. Press the seams open.
The finished block will be 13 inches